2012-08-05

Rio: beach and town: July 29-Aug.6, 2012 (off off Tokyo)


















I visited Rio de Janeiro. The city is farthest in the world from Tokyo, as Brazil lies in the opposite side of the earth from Japan.


Copacabana and Ipanema are ones of most famous beaches in the world. I walked along the beach, which made me feel happy.

White sand, blue sky and sea, sunshine, rocky hills, and beautiful girls – the scenes were impressive.


I naturally hummed “Copacabana” and “The girl from Ipanema” while walking.


I visited here about 18 years ago. The beautiful scene and open-minded atmosphere of the beach is unchanged.


But I also found some changes.
Shower spaces were constructed under the ground in the beach (better facilities). Beach volleyball coats were everywhere.



There were, of course, many nice-body girls, but I also found far more matured ladies in bikinis than 18 years ago. The scene may reflect the development ot maturity of Brazilian society.

There are more police stations than before. Horizontal bars and other training facilities were placed in the beach. Rental bicycle stations were set along the beach.





I also visited Rio’s “must-visit” places.








A huge Christ statue on the Corcovado Hill was one of them. The Christ is always watching down the city.





There were many people on the hill top when I visited. The scene of the city and port (one of 3 most beautidful ports in the world) was so nice.




Pao de Acucar or Sugar Rock is another Rio's symbol. The cable car to the peak was built in the early 20th century. Amazing!






I saw cathederals, business streets, Samba site (to be uses in the Carnival), market and other places in the central city.





Houses are built not only in the flat places but also on the hills. Slums spread in some parts of the city. I also visited Maracana studium, the world's largest fotball site (under renovation works).



I also visited the legendary Bossa Nova birth place. It is said that Bossa Nova was first played in a small dead-end street called "Beco das Garrafas" near Copacabana.

There stands a famous "Bossa Noba & Companais" shop at the corner of the street. I thought of the sound and geniuses (Antonio Carlos Jobim and Joan Gilberto).






1 comment:

  1. Looking those pictures make me want to go there for sure, if it is a business trip.

    ReplyDelete