2011-12-31

Mekong Delta: Dec. 29-31, 2011

I visited Mekong Delta during my trip in Vietnam.


Mekong River origins in China and runs through Myanmar, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, then flows into the sea in Vietnam. It is about 4000 km long.


It composes a huge delta in Vietnam. Thousands of main rivers as well as side streams flow in the area.


I first visited My Tho which locates about 70 km southwest from Ho Chi Minh. The city lies at the side of one of main streams of Mekong. I got on a cruising boat there.



The river was nearly 1km wide. Huge volume of brown water (as it contains much soil) flew slowly. There were ships collecting soil from the river. Petro stations were open for the ships. I also found fish farming pools in the river.


I visited one of the islands in the river.


They cultivate fruits and keep bees, but the life seemed still poor. Tourism is changing their lives.



Rice fields spread oustide of the city. They grow rice three times a year. They have developed rice cultivation in the last 20 years. Vietnam is now the 2nd largest exporter of the rice after Thailand.



I also visited a mangrove jungle around Can Gio, about 50 km south from Ho Chi Minh.


The jungle was defoliated by US forces in the Vietnam War. They have recovered the forest after the war. Large and small rivers run around the forest.


The landscape was fantastic.


Various animals, birds, fish and other aqua creatures live there. I met across a monkey. Many crabs and goby fish were hopping around in the waterside.





There were many shrimp firms around the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment