2023-11-03

Sasago Pass: Koshu Kaido Walk (11): Oct 29, 2023




 



The Sasago Pass
 was the most difficult place to go through in Koshi Kaido in the Edo era. It is 1096 meter high.

I crossed the pass in a fine autumn day. Autumn color has just begun there.


I got off JR Sasago station and walked Koshu Kaido westward. Kuronoda shukuba station located there. The monument of old main inn remains.

 


The road became steeper as I moved on. I found animal caution signs along the road.

 


It was more than 6 km to cross the pass and it took about four hours. Old Koshu Kaido goes through the woods in some parts; it has turned into paved roads in other parts. (See also the top and 2nd photos)

 


I found fences to prevent communities’ fields from animal damages when I entered a mountain path.

 


I arrived at a place where an old cedar tree was reserved. The tree is called Yadete cedar.

 


I arrived the peak of the mountain pass. There is an old tunnel which runs just under the pass. The tunnel is called Sasago Zuido and 239 meter long. It was built in 1938.

The photo was taken from the eastern side. (See also the 3rd photo)

 


I walked down the road. The autumn color of the mountains was beautiful. I found a mark of landslide in a mountainside.

 


Walking down more than an hour, I arrived in Komakai shukuba station. It is now a small and tidy village.

 


The monument of old main inn remains.

A local bus operated by Koshu City was running.

 


The Sasago Pass is a place where the Takeda family, ruler of the area in the late 16th century, has a tragical end. The stature of Takeda Katsuyori, the last Takede leader, stand at the side of JR Kai-Yamato station.

 


There are three manor tunnels –tunnels of the JR railway line, national road and Chuo Highway – which run under the pass. The tunnels are about 3km to 5km.

The photo is a Chuo Highway bridges over Koshu Kaido near Komakai shukuba station.

 

 


 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment