2016-05-11

Nakasendo Walk (12) Iwamurada(22/69)-Ashida(26/69): May 4, 2016







I continued my walk from Iwamurada, the 22nd shukuba station. It is near from the Sakurdaira railway station of the Hokuriku Shinkansen bullet train. It is in Saku City.

I could see many faces of Mr. Asama in the Iwamurada area. In one view, the mountain stood behind the central part of Saku City. In another view, Mt Asama was behind vegetable fields.

I also saw many apple fields along the street. Some were large and some were small. The white flowers were open when I walked there and the trees will have many apples fruits in autumn. (see the 2nd photo from the top)

I have learned that the shopping street offers services to help mothers to take care their babies. They also provide kids services to help their studies. Helping child care and basic education is a big challenge throughout the nation. Iwamurada's case is a good example.

Saku is also famous for its carp dished. I tried the full course, which included fresh, boiled, fried sweet-tasted and vinegar-tested carp. It was too much, but I enjoyed the traditional taste.

I moved into Shionada, the 23rd station. It locates at the side of the Chikuma River. The river changes its name to Shinano River in the lower part and is the longest river in Japan. Mt. Asama over the river was beautiful. (see the top photo)

There also are apple fields around the area.

I walked into Yahata, the 24th station. They produce good rice here. I had a talk with local farmers and they said that rice planning is scheduled in the middle of May. The water was introduced into the fields. (see the 3rd photo from the top)

Some fields have been converted into the site of solar panels.

There are many sculptures of Buddha, God and Goddess along Nakasendo. I felt the number increased after entering into Nagano Prefecture. At Yahata area, I found some impressive examples.

I moved into Mochizuki, the 25th station. It was famous as a place to produced good horses. I found a horse was carved in the cover of a manhole.

I passed the village of Motai before arriving in Ashida, the 26th station. Travelers of the Edo period took breaths or had meats at Motai. There remain old traditional houses here. I found thay were well preserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment