2015-05-10

Tokaido Walk (33) Otsu-Kyoto (off Tokyo): May 6, 2015





This is the last session of my Tokaido Walk. I took the first step from Nihonbashi, Tokyo, in 2010, stopped all 53 shukuba stations, and arrived today at Sanjo Ohashi Bridge in Kyoto.

I started today’s walk from Otsu, the 53th shukuba station.

I climbed Osaka-no-seki or the Osaka Pass, which lies between Otsu and Kyoto. The road is steep. 
The road used to be covered with stones in the Edo era so that the animal-run carriage could move smoothly. The monument of the pavement remains.

There are so many historical places alongside the road. They included Semimaru Shrine, which worship a legendary biwa (Japanese music instrument) player in 9-to century.

I also visited the tomb of Emperor Tenji in the 7th century. The history of his age is full of mystery.

It was the public open day of the drinking water filtering plant at Keage in Kyoto’s east area. The place is also famous for azalea.

I dropped in Chion-in Temple, the head of Buddhism’s Jodo sect and Seiren-in Temple before arriving at Sanjo-Ohashi Bridge, the walk’s goal.

The total distance was about 500 kilometers. 

I did it.
Goal !!!
The statues of Yaji-san and Kita-san, famous imaginary characters who traveled the Tokaid road about 200 years ago, were waiting me.

I am happy to meet you here !





No comments:

Post a Comment