2015-05-10

Kyoto (off Tokyo):May 4-6, 2015








I visited Kyoto twice (on May 4th and 6th) during my Tokaid Walk in the Kansai Area.

The Kyoto railway station was crowded with tourists. There were many Japanese families (as it was the Golden Week holiday season). There were lots of foreign visitors, too.

I found a guide working hard at a tourist center in the ground floor. He was taking inquiries from foreign tourists from various countries. I talked with him and was informed that he is Chinese and he speaks Chinese, English and Japanese. No Japanese staff members were there.

At the entrance, I found Japanese volunteers helping foreign visitors. The improvement of the services for foreign tourists is remarkable in recent years.

I took a tour bus and visited Kinkakuji Temple (the Golden Templae), Daitokuji temple, Shimogamo Shrine and other places. It was rainy on May 4th, and the Golden Temple in the rain was fantastic. The temple is designated a World Heritage site. (top photo)

The Shimogamo Shrine is also registered as one of the World Heritage sites. The shrine plans to build apartments in its territory (outside the World Heritage area) and is becoming a topic.

I visited Kiyomizu Temple and Chionin on May 6th. (2nd from the top)

I saw many foreign visitors in Japanese traditional Kimono costume.

I enjoyed the days in Kyoto.



No comments:

Post a Comment