2011-07-23

Nogawa River Walk (3): July 23, 2011



















It was not unbearably hot today. I walked along the upper part of Nogawa River (from Chofu City to the origin of the river in Kokubnji City).


It was about 10 km walk and the 3rd part of my Nogawa River Walk (following to my Walks in May 8th and 9th, 2010).


The river runs toward southeast. I walked toward northwest.

I started my walk at Shibasaki area, eastern part of Chofu City. The river runs trough residential area here. The river fields were covered with deep grasses. Dragonflies, butterflies and birds were flying.


There were geese, white herons, carp, turtles and many other livings in the river.

I found children and their parents enjoying walking in the river. Some of them were catching fish and other aqua livings.





I walked about 30 minutes and arrived in Jindaiji area. A big botanical garden is at the side of the river. There were fewer houses along the river.

Then, I walked into Mitaka City. There are famous facilities such as National Astronomical observatory, International Christianity University, Chofu Airport and Mitaka Firefly Field (Hotaru no sato = community agricultural center for children) along the river.


It was more nature rich here in this part. They have woods at both sides of the river as many tall trees are planted in the gardens of such facilities. Some farmers still use watermills here.


I found some geese families in the river. It was cute to see the family members swim together.



I visited Ryugenji Temple which stands at the side of the river. The tomb of Kondo Isami, one of tragic hero in the late Edo period is here.





I walked forward and arrived in Nogawa Park. There are huge grass fields and many pine and tulip trees in the park. I found many joggers and families enjoying their times.



They have camp area at the side of the park. The walk path along the river is well arranged.




I arrived in Koganei City. The river again runs through residential area here. The riverside walkway is well kept and there are many four o’clock flowers (Mirabilis jalapa) along the river. They smelled so nice.










I walked into Kokubunji City. Nogawa is a concrete river here. The river bank is covered with cement and it runs through residential houses. It is so ugly.



The origin of the river is in the research center of Hitachi Ltd., near JR Kokubunji station. There is a sign board outside of the center.

No comments:

Post a Comment