2022-05-05

Sengen Shrine in Shizuoka: May 3, 2022




I visited Shizuoka City during my Golden week holidays.

I could not see Mt. Fuji from the city as it was light cloudy. Still, the weather was not so bad.


I visited the Sengen Shrine in the center of the city.

The shrine has a long history. There are tens of small shrines in the site.

Tokugawa Ieyasu, the ruler of Japan in the early 17th century, had a ritual to be an adult in the 16th century. He was in Shizuoka at the time as a hostage.

 I saw people making prays at one of main shrines. The building stands at the foot of a hill.

 


There is a kofun or ancient tomb on the hill near the shrine. It was built in the 6th century.

 


Shopping street spread around the shrine.

The Miyagasaki Street is one of such streets. The street is busy when they have a histrical festival in spring. Today, there wer few people there.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment