2019-05-24

Nakasendo Walk (31) Samegai(61/69)-Banba(62)-Toriimoto(63): May 4, 2019




I continued my Nakasendo Walk from Samegai, the 61th shukuba station from Nihonbashi. As reported in the previous article, the station is famous for its clean water.

There is a shop of local products next to the railway station building. The found the store stressing Samegai’s clean water. (See the top photo)

Leaving the shukuba station, I moved westwards. I found affluent water flowing in the artificial creeks along Nakasendo.

I passed the crossing point of Meishin and Hokuriku moter Highways; found an industrial zone over a milestone.

I entered Banba, 62th shukuba station.

There stands Rengeji Temple along Nakasendo.

It was established earlier than 13th century (A legend says that it was originally built by Prince Shotoku in the 7th century). It now belongs to Jodo sect.

About 430 soldiers of Kamakura shogunate government committed suicide here in 1333 when they lost the war with an anti-shogunate government troops. Memorial monuments were built later to console their spirits. (see also the 2nd photo from the top)

I enjoyed beautiful countryside scenes in the area.

I walked forwards and crossed over a small pass called Surihari Pass.

Old Nakasendo remains in some parts.

I entered Hikone City from Maibara City before arriving in Toriimoto, the 63th station. A welcome monument of Hikone City was waiting me. (See the 3rd photo)

Toriimoto’s drug stores – where they sold medicines for the stomach and intestines – were famous in the Edo era. There still remain some stores. The photo shows an example.




No comments:

Post a Comment