2018-08-31

New York : August 21-24, 2018 (off off Tokyo)



I visited New York City for the first time in six years. It was my first visit to the U. S. under President Trump.

The city was full of energy as it was six years ago. The Fifth Avenue, Times Square, and many other places were crowded with business persons and tourists. Local people were enjoying their times in the Central Park.

I also found many changes. Amazon bookstore opened. The Trump Tower is now not only a garish landmark but also a place with political meanings. There are many development projects under the way including the Hudson Yards Complex.

I walked under the skyscrapers in the Midtown. I saw many tourists enjoying their walks in the 5th Ave.

I saw the supporters appeal reelection of President Trump in front of the Trump Tower in the 5th Ave. (See the 4th photo from the top) 

The guards held rifle guns.

There were so many tourists gathering in the Times Square. Most signboards are now electronic-run.

In the Time Warner Building in the Columbia square, I visited Amazon’s real bookshop. I also entered the Whole Foods store, where they widely sell organic and other health-friendly goods.

17 years have passed after the 9.11 terrorist attack. I visited the ground zero in the lower Manhattan.

Two pools have been constructed in the places where two fallen WTC buildings once stood. The names of the victims are curves on the plates. I saw white roses devoted to the victims who had their birthdays. (See the 2nd photo from the top)

Many tourist boats were visiting the Statue of Liberty in the Liberty Island. (See also the top photo) 

I also visited the Harlem area in the north Manhattan. I saw various paintings in the walls.

It was just after the death of soul singer Aretha Franklin. People displayed her portrait and mourned her in front of the Apollo Theater.

I walked in the Central Park. 

People enjoyed jogging and cycling. Horse wagons moved around.

They enjoyed sunbathing on the lawn.

Tourists took pictures in the Strawberry Fields, which commemorate John Lennon.

I also walked the High Line, a walking path developed on the old railroad.

A painting of the Statues of Liberty stood at the side of the path.

I visited several museums.

Dinosaurs, meteorites and many other interesting things were displayed in the American Museum of Natural History.

The Museum of Modern Arts was free in Friday evening (thanks to Uniqlo’s support). There are so many masterpieces of great painters, including Picasso, Maris, Mondrian, Andy Warhol, there. (See also the 3rd photo) I enjoyed them.



No comments:

Post a Comment