2017-05-12

Nakasendo Walk (26) Fushimi(50/69)-Ota(51/69)- Unuma: May 7, 2017











Nakasendo cross the Kiso River between Fushimi, which lies in the eastern side of the river, and Ota, in the western side. It is regarded as one of the hardest places to travel in all Nakasendo in the Edo era.


I walked through Mitake Town and Kani City before arriving at the Ota Bridge. It took only a few minutes by foot to cross the river. People needed to use boats in the Edo era.

I entered Minogamo City when I crossed the river. I had another short walk and moved into Ota shukuba station, the 51th from Nihonbashi. Various old buildings remain here.

I visited an old inn called “Komatsuya,” which is now used as a rest place.

Ota’s second prestigious inn (waki-honjin) was originally built in the 1760s or about 240 years ago. A part of the building, which was constructed about 150 years ago, is open to the public.

The rooms remain as they were. There is a plant in the garden gifted by a leading politician Taisuke Itagaki in the early Meiji period. There are various histories connected with the shukuba station.

The Kiso River flows along the shukuba station.

I visited a visitor’s center. They have an exhibition space of the local history. I also found farmers markets both inside and outside of the building. (See the 3rd photo from the top)

They held a drawing competition in the city on the day I visited there. I saw many people drawing pictures sitting on the roads, benches and other places. (See also the 4th photo from the top)

I moved westwards and found that Nakasendo went on the banks of the Kiso River.

This part of Kiso River is called Nihon Rhein (the Japan Rhein). 


The road is named the “Japan Rhein Romantic Street.” I saw many cyclists on the road. (See also the top photo)

It had a pleasant walk.

The road goes into Sakahogi Town. The town hosts a factory of Mitsubishi Motor’s Pajero.
I walked into Unuma City, where Unuma shukuba station locates. The scenes of the river were beautiful. (See also the 2nd photo from the top)



No comments:

Post a Comment