2016-11-02

Nakasendo Walk (20) Agematsu (38/69) – Suhara (39/69) – Okuwa: Oct. 31, 2016



I started my walk today from Agematsu. There was a big news for the town today.

A new ranking of sumo wrestlers was announced today for November tournament to be held in Kyushu. Mitakeumi, a wrestler born in Agematsu Town, was ranked at Komusubi, one of the top ranks called sanyaku. It is the first sanyaku wrestler in 84 years from Nagano Prefecture.

An extra was delivered in the town. NHK sent a camera team to record the joy of the town.

There are flags, posters and hanging displays to cheer Mitakeumi. Sumo plays a big role for the local communities.

Agematsu is famous for its Japanese cypress trees. Polls stand in front of the railway station.

Old houses and inns remain along Nakasendo.

There is an elderly nursery house along the road. Aging is a big issue for Japan, but the situation is more urgent for the rural areas.

I also saw mini-vehicles of the elderly care services running around the areas. They visit the houses of old people, some of who live alone.

I found a beautiful fall called “Ono no Taki”.

I continued walking in the countryside. Japanese persimmon trees hold many fruits.

I suddenly met a group of monkeys. They were eating persimmons when I noticed them.

Kiso River runs fast in some parts and moves slowly in other parts. It flows slowly in the area. I found there were many big stones in the river field.

There is a lumber factory along the river.

I also found a hydro power plant in the border area between Agematsu Town and neighboring Okuwa Village. It is called Momoyama Plant. It is historically important as it was built in 1923 by Momosuke Fukuzawa, a famous businessman from Meiji to early Showa eras.

I walked into Suhara, the 39th station. Suhara is in Okuwa Village.

They use water storage tanks called muzubune there. They are made of cypress tree.

The combination of mizubune and traditional houses was very impressive for me.

I found mizubune not only in the residential arras but also in front of a temple and in the fields along Nakasendo.

Suhara has traditional folk songs as do other communities. There is a music box which plays Suhara Banesa, one of the region's songs. I enjoyed it.



I found another water dam of Kiso River.

The autumn color was beautiful.

I ceased todays walk at JR Okuwa station, which is between Suhara and Nojiri, the 40th station.



No comments:

Post a Comment