2015-08-11

Greece (2) Acropolis, islands and other must-see places: August 2-4, 2015



It is needless to say that Greece has many attractive places for tourists. I really enjoyed my walks in the country.

Acropolis is the highlight of the sightseeing in Athens. The Parthenon, the masterpiece of the ancient Greek civilization and a symbolic birthplace of the western civilization, stands on the hill. I was strongly impressed.

The old Dionysos theater was at the foot of the hill. Other temples and gates remained. The sky was blue and the temperature was high. I walked around the hill in the shower of the cicada sounds.

I got good information of the Acropolis as well as the ancient Greece at the new Acropolis Museum, which opened in 2009.

I also visited the Agora, the market and the citizen’s gathering place in the ancient times. It is near the Acropolis. It was interesting for me to imagine that Socrates and other philosophers made speeches here.

There are many ancient buildings in the city. The Hadrian’s gate and the Temple of the Olympians Zeus are examples.

The Parliament stood in front of the Syntagma Square. People gathered there to see the exchange of the guards is performed in every hour.

The Plaka district remains old atmosphere. I enjoyed window shopping and the tea there.

I also joined a cruising tour in the Aegean Sea and visit three islands, the Hydra, the Poros and the Egina. The sea was beautiful and the towns were lovely.

People do not use automobiles in the Hydra island. They instead use donkeys and horses there. (see the photo 2nd from the top).

The Poros island locates near the Peloponnese peninsula. Wind power generators were placed on the mountain top.









No comments:

Post a Comment