2014-11-19

Occupy Central @ Hong Kong (off off Tokyo): Nov.19, 2014




The world pays attention to Hong Kong as Occupy Central movement by pro-democracy activists continues.

I had a trip to Hong Kong and visited the site.

The road in front of the Hong Kong Government Office (Harcourt Road) was occupied by thousands of tents. The scene was very impressive. I had not seen such number of tents. 

They have been here for nearly two months (amazing !).

Other hundreds of tents were placed in different places around the office.

The stickers to demand normal election were placed everywhere – on the tents, roads, walls and so on. So did the umbrellas. Small papers with comments from all over the world were posted on the wall.

The atmosphere was calm as it was daytime when I visited there. Some protesters were talking with their colleagues and some were sleeping in their tents. It becomes noisier in the night as people gather here after their jobs, according to a freelance journalist I talked with.

There were many tourists. Camera persons were waiting in the pedestrian walkways.

I do not know what will be in the future of the movement. Reports say that several moves are taking place at unofficial levels and that anything could happen.

What seemed clear for me was -- (1) It is nearly two months after the start of the movement and (2) There still stay thousands of tents (or tens of thousands of protesters) gathering here. Then, I felt large energy from them.

John Lennon’s lyric was displayed. “You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one”. It was also impressive.

No one knows what the situation will be. We just know that the movement will be surely recorded in the history.

No comments:

Post a Comment