2012-10-21

Nakasendo Walk (3) Omiya- Ageo: Oct. 20, 2012

















It was a nice autumn day. I took the 3rd part of my Nakasendo Walk from Omiya, the 4th shukuba station, to Ageo, the 5th.


There are few historical memories or monuments of Nakasendo remain in Omiya. Old Nakasendo has turned to Local (Prefectural) Route 164. It goes northwest through shopping and residential areas.




I dropped in Hikawa Shrine near Omiya station. The shrine worships the god of water. There are more than 200 Hikawa shrines in Kanto region (including Tokyo) and Omiya’s shrine is the head of them. It locate a block from Nakasendo.


It was a season of 7-5-3 festival, which celebrates the girls of 7 years, boys of 5 years and girls of 3 years. I saw many girls and boys in traditional Japanese costumes.

I continued walking. I sometimes found shrines and small sculptures of gods at the side of the road. Tohoku and Joetsu Shinkansen bullet train runs over Nakasendo in northern part of Omiya.




There remain only a few monuments in Ageo, but there were more guide plates of Nakasendo in the city than Omiya or Urawa. It was about 40 kilometers from Nihonbashi.



No comments:

Post a Comment