2012-05-01

Tokaido Walk(16) Fuchu-Okabe: April 28, 2012

















“The Golden Week” holidays started. I resumed my Tokaido walk. Today’s course was from Fuchu (Shizuoka City) through Mariko to Okabe (19th to 21st “Shukuba” stations from Nihonbashi, Tokyo).


Tokaido makes zig-zag bend in the central part of Shizuoka City. The first Tokugawa Shogun Ieyasu and other important persons stayed in the castle in the city. The zig-zag road was made to defend  the castle from the enemy's sudden attack.


Old Tokaido has turned into a busuy shopping street in the central part of the city. An Artist was playing street performance.


I crossed Abe River and proceeded to Mariko. The place is famous for Japanese yam soup dish called Tororo. The food is often described in books, including famous "Tokaidochu Hizakurige", in the Edo period.

Choji-ya restaurant is especially famous. I found several monuments around the restaurant.



I crossed over Utsunoya Pass and arrived in Okabe. There were many bamboo trees along the mountain road.


It was a season of bamboo shoots. I saw several farm houses selling the shoots.





No comments:

Post a Comment