2012-04-15

Peach Blossom@Yamanashi: April 15, 2012



















Ask me three most popular spring flowers in Japan. They may be Ume (Japanese plum or apricot), Cherry and Peach.

I have already enjoyed Ume and Cherry this spring (as we can find many Ume and Cherry everywhere in Tokyo).

Peach is different. There are few gathering of peach trees in Tokyo. So, I had a short trip to Yamanashi Prefecture (about 100 km west from Shinjuku) today to enjoy peach blossom.


I visited Fuefuki City and Yamanashi City, both are in the central part of Kofu basin. They produce peach, grape, cherry and other fruits.


Tens of thousands of peach trees are planted in many places in and around the cities. The towns were colored pink when I saw them from the hill top.


Mountains lie behind the basin. Only the peak of Mt. Fuji was seen (as clouds covered the sky).



The peach flower’s pink was stronger cherry's.


A legend of the Peach Blossom Land has spread throughout East Asia (trigged by a work by Chinese poet Tao Yuanming in the early 5th century). It is a kind of Utopia. The scene reminded me of the legend.

No comments:

Post a Comment