2011-08-13

Sri Lanka(1)Life & Society(off off Tokyo): August 7-12, 2011
















I visited Sri Lanka to enjoy my summer vacation. It was my first visit of the country.

The country has 8 world heritages. It also attracts tourist with its beautiful beaches and rich nature. It is true, but I was also interested in its society and people’s life.


The country is still poor. Its per capita income is still about $ 2000 (2010 estimate). It does not have highways. Roads are dusty and bumpy.


Traffic signals are rarely seen even in big cities like Colombo.
Three wheelers run amid automobiles. They are main players in transportation in rural towns and villages. Dogs and cows walk in the streets.

Rural areas do not have electricity. People shop at old local markets.


It seemed that the civil war (1983-2009) had seriously hit the economy and had delayed the developments of the society.




Still changes are seen.

I found mobile-phone billboards and shops everywhere in the country (even in small mountainous villages). Cell phone is becoming "must" thing for people and even elementary school boys and girls held them (taking them to school is banned), according to my tour guide.




The country is green rich. Water is also affluent.

I saw coconut palm trees field in various places.

Growing rice is popular in lowland.





Tea plantations spread in moutan areas. I visited Mackwoods tea plant near Nuwar Eliya. The plantation was developed by William Mackwoods in the mid 19th century. I was impressed with his venture spirit (along with colonization history).

Herb plantations are also developed in mountain areas.





I saw many posters of political parties and politicians in the towns. President's poster is mostly stand out.








I could not help but laugh when I found an election campaign advertisement drawn on a rock with white paint at Rawana Ella Falls, one of the nation’s most famous (and beautiful) falls. It is of course banned.


















1 comment:

  1. I found Sri lanka to be a very poor country when I visited in 1997,
    I built an orphanage in Tangalla. now it is home for a cheating family of Tamil tigers.

    ReplyDelete