2011-04-20

Tokaido Walk (7): Chigasaki-Ninomiya (off Tokyo): April 16, 2011














More than one month has passed after the great earthquake and tsunami disaster. Series of nuclear accidents at Fukushima plants followed. I had not been so willing to go around outside in the first few weeks. But I restarted long-distance walk today.

I took part seven of my Tokaido walk. It was from Chigasaki to Ninomiya (about 15 km).

The weather was fine. The sunshine was bright and the temperature went up more than 20 degrees. We had unseasonable cold days in March (the temperature went down below zero). It seemed that the season changed from winter to summer in a week.

Chigasaki is about 10 km west of Fujisawa,the 6th station from Nihonbashi. I walked through residential areas and reached Sagami River. I found people enjoying sailing.

I entered into Hiratsuka, the 7th station (shukuba). Only the monuments (of old inns and gates) remain.


I walked westward and found a mountain in the right side. It is called Mt. Koma. The name originally meant a country (Koguryo) existed in Korean Peninsula more than 1000 years ago. Some people escaped from Korean Peninsula when their country was conquered and arrived here.

A shrine is built at the foot of the mountain. A festival was held when I visited.






I went into Oiso, the 8th station from Edo’s Nihonbashi.

Oiso is a small but famous town.

Japan’s first public beach was developed in the Meiji period here (Some other beaches insist the position). Many famous politicians, business tycoons and novelists built their summer houses in the town. They include Ito Hirofumi, Japan’s first PM in the Meiji period, and Yoshida Shigeru, PM and post-war leader.


Pine trees remain along Tokaido here.

I went down to the beach. Many surfers were waiting a big wave in the sea.

I moved westward and arrived at JR Ninomiya station. It is about 72 km from Nihonbashi.

No comments:

Post a Comment