2010-01-11

Yoyogi Hachiman Shrine: Jan 3, 2010




Many Japanese people go "Hatsumode" or new-year’s visit to the shrine in the first several days of the year. I visited Yoyogi Hachiman Shrine near Shibuya.

It is not difficult to make new year's pray in the shrine. (1) throw coins or notes into a wooden box in front of the main building (2) pray for happiness and good health (and anything else) in the coming year.


When I arrived in the shrine, I found a long line in the garden. I had to wait around 30 minutes before finishing my pray.

Some people need additional pray services by the Shinto priests. The services are offered inside the buildings.
I saw a small girl in traditional kimono costume and her parents waiting the services. The Shinto priests said that they would be busy throughout January.

There were open-air stalls of traditional Japanese foods in the shrine garden. The foods included Takoyaki, Yakisoba and Amazake.


No comments:

Post a Comment